Introduction of Yonezawa Uesugi Shrine and Matsugasaki Shrine
There is Uesugi Shrine in the main circle of Yonezawa Castle .
Originally had been enshrined in the corner of Yonezawa Castle Kenshin Uesugi of the shrine is, Kasugayama Castle will be said to be the beginning of was Utsusa in Yonezawa Castle from.
When entering the Meiji era, the remains of Kenshin Uesugi were moved to the Uesugi family shrine, away from Yonezawa Castle, due to the separation of Shinto and Buddha and the abolition of the castle.
After that, it was enshrined with Takayama Uesugi, a famous lord of the Chuko Yonezawa Domain, and was built as the “Uesugi Shrine" at the site of Honmaru at Yonezawa Castle. The shrine was completed on May 21, 1876 (Meiji 9).
The main shrine was completely destroyed by the fire of Yonezawa in 1919, and the current shrine was rebuilt.
Click each photo to enlarge.
The above photo is Kasuga Shrine on the south side of Uesugi Shrine.
Originally Kenshin Uesugi was split off from Kasuga Taisha Shrine in Yamato, and was located in Kasugayama Castle, but relocated to Yonezawa by Keikatsu Uesugi .
Later, it was rebuilt in its current location in 1981.
matsugasaki Shrine Sightseeing
Matsugasaki Shrine is located outside the inner moat at Matsugasaki Park (Yonezawa Castle Ruins). It will be the ruins of the Ninomaru Seiko Palace
Uesugi Takayama, Uesugi Keikatsu, Naoe Kanetsugu , Hosoi Hirasu, Takemata Tounazuna and Yoshimasa Hinoto are enshrined.
Transportation to the Uesugi Shrine and Matsugasaki Shrine
Uesugi Shrine and Matsugasaki Shrine are more than 2 km from JR Yonezawa Station.
It’s far from walking, so take a circulating bus from JR Yonezawa Station and get off at the bus stop called Uesugi Shrine.
Click here for the bus route map from Yonezawa Station.